Beyond the first five reasons to rush Friday to the Vancouver Sun Harry Jerome Track Classic: Power couple, Ashton and Brianne Theisen- Eaton, Andre De Grasse, Derek Drouin, R'walk stars, Ben Thorne, Inaki Gomez and Evan Dunfee, plus comeback Olympic Champion, Jeremy Warner, meet organizers have attracted another top five events.
1. Melissa Bishop of Eganville, ON, Canadian record holder and silver medalist in the 2015 World Championship’s 800m will face off with Brenda Martinez, of Big Bear, CA, the 2013 World Championship bronze medalist in the two lap sprint. 2012 Olympian, Jessica Smith of North Vancouver, BC, who won the Jerome 800m last year, will challenge them.
2. Shannon Rowbury of Portland, OR, two time World Championship bronze medalist and two time Olympian will run the 1500m at the Jerome Classic will find competition from a group of strong Canadians lead by veterans, Olympian, Hilary Stellingwerff of Victoria, BC and Sasha Gollish of Toronto, ON as well as newcomers, Gabriela Stafford of Toronto and Fiona Benson of Dawson Creek, BC
3. Liz Gleadle of Vancouver, BC, the 2015 Pan American Games gold medalist is coming off a win in Kawasaki, Japan last month. She is on the Road to Rio and will be a role model for a host of throwers from British Columbia.
4. Alyx Treasure of Prince George, BC has met the Olympic standard this season and will be challenged in the high jump at the Jerome Classic by Inika McPherson and Rachel McCoy of the USA plus Saniel Atkinson-Grier of Jamaica.
5. Cam Levins of Black Creek, BC and Luc Bruchet of White Rock, BC will step down from their traditional distances, 5000m and 10,000m to run the 1500m against a strong international field lead by Josh Wright of Australia. Thomas Riva of Victoria, BC who won the 2015 Jerome Classic will challenge this field.
Tickets are $25 finish line, $10 general admission are available on line at www.harryjeorme.com. First event starts at 6pm with doors open at 5pm. Opening ceremonies will be at 7:30pm